A journey begins with a single step

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Brain Overload!

WOAH! Study Abroad Orientation just blew my mind. Honestly, I thought spending 9 am - 5 pm talking about the ins and outs of study abroad would be painfully boring, but I actually had an awesome time. It was great seeing all of the UNCG students involved in the program and where they were going. (I couldn't help being reminded of Hetalia though; everyone had the name of the country they were going to on their name tags!) My good friend Kristina Ragan spent the day with me, which made it even better. She is going to Finland (how unique!)

The program started with a light "breakfast" (really just a plate of fruit and some orange juice). Then we dived in to some of the many questions people have about study abroad. How do you get a passport? A visa? What about money? And what should you bring (or not bring)? They also mentioned the paperwork (yes, more paperwork) that we have to work on between now and December 1st. And it's a monster pile of paper! At least they gave us a month instead of a week to do it this time.

Later on we did a simulation meant to represent the stages of culture shock along with the language barriers we might encounter when we go abroad. This was demonstrated through a brand new card game we had to learn-- without talking! It was frustrating, but also a lot of fun, and the way they tied it in to our future experience abroad was well done. Following the mini card tournament, we took a break for lunch. Once we reunited, we watched a video showing students of many different cultural backgrounds having a discussion about a controversial topic. Through the video we learned about cultural differences and ways of communication that may differ from our own. Then we discussed how we can adapt to these and be mindful of them when we travel to our respective countries.

Towards the end of the session there was an international student panel consisting of the study abroad students currently studying at UNCG from around the world. They answered a few questions about their experience here in the States quite honestly (and humorously.)  Finally, we broke into groups by country. I met the three other people going to Japan and we were able to ask Takagi sensei (my former Japanese professor) all of the Japan specific questions we had. The most daunting thing I learned is that I would have to fly to Japan alone, and then travel from Tokyo to Nara using public transportation. Yikes! Guess I better start figuring that out now... Maybe I will spend a day in Tokyo before I go to Nara :)

All in all, it was a huge brain overload, but I am even more excited now than I was before to go to Japan. There are so many challenges, opportunities, and experiences awaiting me that I am sure I can't even fathom.

Too bad I have to wait until March to go! However, I am sure that day will arrive even sooner than I think. I am looking forward to it!

じゃ!
Corri(nne)

No comments:

Post a Comment