A journey begins with a single step

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Spirituality in Japan

Japan is a very spiritual country. They believe that every person, every living thing, and even the nonliving things, have a place in the grand scheme of life and should be honored. The Japanese respect the earth and each other, and are generally a peaceful people, but they lack one thing: a relationship with Jesus Christ.

According to NationMaster's statistics, 96% of Japanese are Bhuddist, while 86% are Shinto and Bhuddist. Being a Christian, this is one of my major concerns about going to Japan. Where will I go to church? How will I have fellowship with other believers? Will I be able to maintain my current spiritual walk with God, or will I become "luke warm"? I consider going abroad a real test of my faith, but through prayer, I am confident God will provide, like he always does.

Less than 1% of Japanese are Christians. Let me put that in perspective. In 2009, Japan was reported to have 127.51 million residents. That means a little over 1.2 million people in Japan claim to be Christians. Overall, that is not very many.

However, I made an amazing discovery while perusing the internet. There is a Protestant church in Nara called Nara International Christian Church. Like it's name says, it is an international church that preaches in many languages, including English! I am not sure how far it is Nara Women's University, but I know I will find a way to get there. For all my Christian friends who are following this, please continue to ask that God provides a Christian family for me during my stay in Japan!

じゃ!
Corri(nne)



1 comment:

  1. Praying for you Corrine! I know God will place you right where you belong! And perhaps if there is not a bible believing church nearby, perhaps you could start a home study with students?? :) Who knows what God will do!

    ReplyDelete