A journey begins with a single step

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

07.04-05.11 Jinx

I definitely jinxed myself when I said I hadn't missed home or felt bad in a long time because these last two days have been less than perfect.

On Monday I was determined to be chipper because it was Independence Day in the US and I was eager to celebrate. Of course, I did what I usually do on Mondays: went to Japanese class, ate lunch with Bea, Hana, and Yoonkyung, attended Budou, and yes, even went to my gym class. In gym class we were still playing volleyball, but surprisingly everyone improved over the last couple of weeks so our team actually did really well. We are having a mini tournament and so far we are in the lead (sweet, huh?). My knee was feeling much better (with the exception of bending it to extreme degrees) so I went to Konami with Bea immediately after class. I did some light running on the treadmill (nothing like I usually do) and some cycling.

Then, I came back to the dorm to quickly prepare for what I expected to be a fun night. I had planned to go to Sakura Burger with Rina, Bea, and Yoonkyung to celebrate the 4th of July. My mom even sent me an Independence Day card in the mail complete with fun American inspired coloring pages so I brought them with me so we could color them while we waited for our food.

Things started out a bit rocky though. Yoonkyung was late so I called her to find out where she was only to discover she had just woken up. It was hard for me to understand her over the phone, and I felt bad that she had to yell to get her point across. I eventually got  that she wanted us to go ahead of her to the restaurant and she would meet us there. However, after waiting at the restaurant for a few minutes, I received another call from Yoonkyung. Once again, I couldn't understand much of what she said over the phone so I sat there dumbly while she repeated herself over in over. Frustrated, I eventually passed the phone to Bea so she could talk to her. In the end, she arrived and we ordered, but I continued to feel embarrassed about our conversation and ended up crying at the dinner table. Great way to celebrate, right? No one seemed to understand why I was so upset, and even I couldn't fully explain it so I tried my best to cheer up and drop the issue. Honestly, I think it was the fact that I felt stupid for not being able to communicate over the phone that I was most upset.

We ate dinner and it was delicious. Of course, I had to eat a burger-- and even though I couldn't watch fireworks, Yoonkyung suggested that we go to karaoke and that more than made up for it. Rina, Yoonkyung, Bea, and I sang for two hours, which passed by quickly. Then we saw Rina off and went home our own way. Towards the end of karaoke I had developed a pounding headache though, so I ended up going to bed as soon as I got back.

>>

The morning wasn't much better. I still had a headache, and that put me in an awful mood. I could have slept for days. My body felt so heavy that just getting up to get dressed felt like a chore. Even so, I forced myself to get up and go to Indo Dance (even though I was a little late). The entire time I was in class though I felt like crap. Moving was tough, and my head felt like a rock. Even the sensei noticed that I was looking a bit pale and she encouraged me to take a break. Afterwards, Rina and Yoonkyung went with me to get some medicine from the clinic on campus before we ate lunch together. Once again, I wasn't able to eat everything on my plate. It's somewhat scary that I haven't been able to eat as much lately. I've never had such a poor appetite before...

Anyway, I returned to my room after lunch to shower and make some preparations for my Beginner's Japanese class. Only three people showed up today. I find it funny that whenever one of the Chinese girls don't come to class, they all decide not to go-- but hey, who am I to judge? Class went well though so I was glad I went. From there I decided to go to Yoonkyung's office to study for a little bit, but I couldn't focus for very long so I ended up leaving early to go meet Aaron, a Chinese girl who is paying me to edit her master thesis (ka-ching!). I charged her 1,000 yen for an hour, but it only took me about 45 minutes to edit ten pages. At least she gave me the number of another girl who is interested in having me check her paper so maybe I can make some more money. Hooray for having cash!

With nothing else to do after meeting Aaron I returned to the dorm to talk to Bea. I found out from her that Yoonkyung was worried about me. It probably didn't help that I left her office without saying goodbye to her. I didn't want to bother her since she was working at the time, but in retrospect I should have said something. Boo misunderstandings, boo! Anyway, I plan on talking her soon to clear things up, but until then I am a bundle of nerves.

This just hasn't been my day. It probably has something to do with the fact that I was too lazy to make apple muffins. Oh well. There's always next week, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment