A journey begins with a single step

Monday, July 25, 2011

07.23-25.11 High Stress Level

What did I do this weekend that was interesting? Oh yeah-- nothing.
Okay, okay, that's an exaggeration. I at least went to a cool cafe with Yoonkyung, but the rest of my weekend was devoted to studying for my Japanese test (OF DEATH). On Saturday I skipped soccer practice and ESS so I could study. Luckily, Yoonkyung saved me before I went insane by inviting me to an interesting cafe just when I needed a break. The small restaurant was on the street behind my dorm. It was basically built into the owner's house so it felt more like you were going over to a friend's for lunch than if you were going to a formal restaurant. The atmosphere was extremely relaxed, which was both surprising and refreshing. Because Yoonkyung had gone to the place a week before, the owner remembered her and stroke up casual conversation. We also talked to the other customers there, who seemed to be regulars. Everyone taught us how to play traditional Japanese games and we even got to try our hand at the Japanese style of painting. We only ordered coffee and dessert, but were given free food, great conversation, and many laughs. It's definitely a place that I'll be going to again soon!

Yuu teaching Yoonkyung how to play the game

Free food!

He was adorable <3

Yoonkyung's painting!

My painting

The owner's handiwork

After we were done eating and socializing it was time for me to go back to work. I spent the rest of the evening studying in Yoonkyung's dorm while Yoonkyung went off to her part-time job. I sat in the first floor lounge and a nice girl shared some orange slices with me just as I was starting to get hungry. Overall, I felt like I was productive.

Sunday was also fairly productive. Of course, I went to church with Hana chan and Yoonkyung in the morning. The message was just what I needed to hear, and to my surprise I understood everything that was said (how's that for progress?). We got out of church around 5 PM, so Yoonkyung and I went to Tully's for coffee and I also got to buy some new ear phones for my ipod at Vivre. When Hana chan was done with her part-time job, we all met up again and went to Paket to get some shopping done. I'm really glad I went because I was completely out of food! Later in the evening, I went over to Yoonkyung and Hana chan's dorm again so I could study. (I am completely incapable of studying in my room since I get distracted by the internet.) This time, I sat in Yoonkyung's room and looked over my notes while we watched Transformers. And yes, I was able to study that way! Surprising, I know, but I'm one of those people who needs background noise in order to focus. Weird, yes.

Today (Monday), I hit my stress limit. I went to take my Japanese test and found out that I was prepared for about 2/3 of it. The other third was fill in the blank, which I wasn't expecting at all. Basically, we had to make example sentences and everything looked the same to me so I'm sure I failed that part. Oh well. I did my best and what's done is done! From there I went to eat lunch and then Bea, Yoonkyung, and I went to our last Budou class. I turned in my report and we filled out class evaluations. We also got to watch our final kendo performance (which we presented last week). I'm proud to say that it looked really good! I'm hoping that I can get a copy of the video from sensei so I can take it back to America with me :) After that I had my last gym class. Again, we filled out class evaluations. It was pretty boring. I'm glad that class is finished!

Once all of my classes were done, Bea and I made preparations to go to Osaka in order to attend Tenjin matsuri. But first we went to Vivre so I could get some help putting on my yukata. We went to the same place we had bought our yukata and the girls who worked there helped me put it on. It looked absolutely stunning! I was extremely pleased. When I was dressed (Bea put her yukata on by herself), we made our way to Osaka, which was crowded with people (even more so than when we went to Gion matsuri in Kyoto.) We visited the major temple where the festival was being held and got to see some of the procession. Of course, we got to see (and eat) more than our fair share of street food, my favorite. Around 7 PM the fireworks started so Bea and I tried to find a good place to watch them. We ended up in a small place by the riverbed where we could see the fireworks and the festival boats as they went up and down the river. While we were there, we bumped into some guys, one of whom was from Hockessin, Delaware. Small world, right? It started to get late, so Bea and I made our way back to the train station. We got to see more of the festival procession on the way, which was also nice. By the time we got back to Nara though it was almost midnight-- wow!

In the end it turned out to be a fun day, but the pressure of having final classes and navigating my way through one of the biggest festivals in Japan was still stressful. Also, I am getting up early tomorrow to go prepare for my Indian Dance performance (the day has finally come!!). Yes, I'm still enjoying myself, but I think I'll be relieved when this week is over. Then I can relax and enjoy the rest of my time here. Until then!

chocolate covered banana!





Back in Nara with Sentokun, Nara's mascot!

No comments:

Post a Comment