A journey begins with a single step

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

05.03.11 Understanding

Today wasn't very interesting for the most part. I lazed around my room, did laundry, and managed to sneak in a three hour nap towards the latter part of the day until a dog woke me up. I am extremely curious as to why a dog was in our dorm. I don't think I will ever find out though.

At 7:30, Yoonkyung invited me over to dinner at her dorm. I had the chance to meet her old Japanese teacher, Kimiko, who is visiting for Golden Week. Although Kimiko san is Japanese, she teaches at Yoonkyung's old university in Korea. She looked maybe twenty years old, but I found out she was actually 31. (All Asians look like they are in their early twenties to me!) She was incredibly nice, and I found her Japanese clear and easy to understand. In fact, I think there was only two or three words she said that I didn't understand, but they didn't hinder me from understanding. I realized that the entire time I was talking to Yoonkyung, Hana, and Kimiko san, I was actually able to understand the conversations without asking for help. This revelation was a big deal for me-- now if only I could improve my speaking abilities...

For dinner, Yoonkyung made the Korean version of miso soup in addition to some delicious pork belly, mushrooms, and kimchi. The point was to put the ingredients into a lettuce leaf, add rice, and eat it all at once. Think of the Korean version of tacos and you have a pretty good idea of what it was like. Apparently it's called "samgyopsa". In any case, it was absolutely delicious, especially when we added the sauce she had. Afterwards, the four of us sat in Yoonkyung's room and watched Japanese television. I don't think I'll ever understand it. It's just too... weird. Around 11 PM, Yoonkyung walked me home. I hope one day I can cook something for her. It's unfortunate that I really can't cook anything!



Tomorrow I have a soccer game in Kyoto, but what I'm really looking forward to is my trip to Osaka on Thursday with Yoonkyung. It's going to be fun, I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment