A journey begins with a single step

Monday, May 16, 2011

05.15.11 デパート

The weekend really flew by this time. Of course, church takes up most of my Sunday, but still. I find myself surprised every time Monday rolls around.

At church today we read Philipians 4:4-7:

 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

It was an encouraging message about how we should have joy in all circumstances. When the service was over, we had our home cooked lunch like usual, and Pastor Pakku had me sing happy birthday (in English) to one of our church members. Following that was prayer time. I think I have finally become accustomed to the church's way of doing things, because I now know when we are praying, when we are eating, when we are singing, etc. When church was finally over, Hana, Yoonkyung, and I had our pastor drop us off near a popular department store in Nara. We met up with Bea at Starbucks for coffee and talked about how annoying it is to meet foreigners in Japan who either don't know any Japanese or don't know anything about the culture. This conversation started when we ran into Heidi again (the teacher from the English cafe.) Honestly, it really makes me angry when foreigners in Japan aren't sensitive to the way the Japanese do things because I think it can give people a bad impression of me!

Once we had some Starbucks, we shopped in the department store. Well, we didn't really do much shopping. We mostly walked around and ate free samples on the sixth floor. This area had a bunch of food vendors from different places around Japan who were trying to sell their products. It was different from anything I had ever experienced before. When we had eaten our fill of freebies, I bought some socks to wear with my flats (the socks that all the Japanese girls wear), and that was about all. After a few hours of weaving in and out of stores, we ended up at the supermarket in the basement where we bought dinner and drinks. We waited until it was later in the evening so all of the bento lunches were half price. Score! It wasn't really a productive day, but it was fun. We took the train back, and when I got back to my dorm, Bea came over to use my computer so she could skype her father (her microphone is still broken). In the meantime, I prepared for Monday's Japanese class by looking through the worksheets and translating the kanji.

That was it! Sorry I don't have any more exciting news to post. I can't believe it is already May 15th-- the first half of this month flew by! Knowing how quickly the time is passing puts even more pressure on me to study and apply myself to learning Japanese. がんばります!Ganbarimasu! 

No comments:

Post a Comment