A journey begins with a single step

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

05.11.11 Rain, Rain, and More Rain

In all my 20 years, I don't think I've ever seen so much rain in one day. Considering the fact that it isn't technically even the "rainy season" in Japan yet, I am a little afraid. It downpoured all day. Downpoured. I'm not even really sure where it was all coming from. Originally I had planned to run some errands, so I woke up early, but once I saw the nasty weather I thought otherwise. I did finally walk down the street to the post office so I could withdraw money from the ATM and buy stamps, but other than that I stayed inside the dorm, made breakfast, and did laundry.

My day got more interesting when Yoonkyung invited me over to her dorm for lunch. Whenever Yoonkyung cooks I know I am in for a treat. She made what I like to call "Korean pancakes." Basically, she mixed kimchi, takenoko, onions, and a few other ingredients into a batter and fried them up into what resembled a pancake. We ate it with takenoko rice and a spicy sauce-- it was absolutely amazing. I didn't stay long after lunch because I had to finish laundry and meet up with Bea to discuss our Japanese homework.

I'm proud to say that I completed my homework all by myself. We had to pick a poem or other work of literture in our own language that was well known, then write a summary on it and explain why we picked it. I chose John 3:16, a popular Bible verse (see what I did there?). It was actually fun to explain the meaning in Japanese. I hope my teacher enjoys reading it!

Once I finished homework, Yoonkyung invite me to go to dinner at Mos Burger, which is probably the best burgers Japan has to offer. Not going to lie, it was definitely better than McDonalds or Burger King. Still got nothing on Red Robin's burgers though! From there, we walked to church for the midweek service. Unfortunately, Yoonkyung thought the service started at 7:30, but it actually started at 7:00, so we walked in twenty minutes late. Whoops! Even though we didn't get to hear much of the message, I really enjoyed the prayer time. God moved me to pray for Yoonkyung's leg. I know it has been bothering her for a while, but she refuses to go to a doctor. Stubborn Korean. (kkkkkk I love you Yoonkyung!) I hope that she feels better soon! Pastor Pakku also gave me a Japanese Bible so I am excited to start studying it. Apparently, Bibles are really expensive in Japan (around 4,000 yen-- ouch!), so it was exceptionally nice of him.



Pakku sensei drove me back to my dorm and Yoonkyung left me to go exercise. I think she goes swimming everyday. Kudos to her! Even though I wanted to talk to Yoonkyung, it was probably a good thing that we went our separate ways. Staying up late and getting up early these past few days is finally getting to me.

I will go to sleep listening to God's lullaby of the falling rain. Oyasumi!

No comments:

Post a Comment