A journey begins with a single step

Thursday, May 19, 2011

05.19.11 Don't worry!

It's getting harder to think of good blog titles. Especially since I feel like my days are becoming less and less interesting.

Today was a Thursday, which meant I had Japanese. I am glad that Bea was sitting beside me to help me understand what we were going over. We've started talking about transitive and intransitive verbs, which I remember going over in my Japanese classes at UNCG, but it has been a while. I hate them because they're super confusing. This is one thing that English definitely does better. Also, my text books haven't come in yet. I am starting to get a little worried. I am pretty sure I filled everything out correctly online, so why haven't I received them?

At lunch, I ate with Maki, Hinako, and another girl whose name I can't remember right now. It was nice to listen to their playful banter. Apparently, Hinako met a guy the other night who she really likes. The only thing that surprised me was that he is 35, and he works at the same place she does. From what I have heard, it is common in Japan for an older man to date a younger woman. Based on how Maki explained it, it is because most college girls think that guys their own age are lazy or unmotivated, so they look for people who are older and already have a solid job. Makes sense to me!

Once we finished eating, Maki helped me register my student ID card on campus. This allows me to unlock any of the gates or doors on campus after hours (on weekends or after everyone has left for the day). This is extremely convenient because it means I can take shortcuts across campus or go to school in the evening to study.

As I finished saying goodbye to Maki, Yoonkyung texted me to ask if I would like to study together. Since I wasn't doing anything at the time, I agreed. First, we walked to the post office because she had to mail something to her friend in Korea. Then she helped me rent out a book from the International Student Center so we could practice some Japanese vocab together. She reminded me that if I ever needed help with something or had a question, I should ask her. I guess I am still struggling with the fact that I am a very independent person and don't like asking for assistance. Everyone has been telling me over and over that I should ask them if I need something, but then I feel like all I do is ask for help! But when I don't ask for help I get into trouble or make a fool of myself. It's a vicious cycle that I can't seem to break.

Yoonkyung and I didn't get to study anything substantial because I had volleyball class at 2:40. It seems that we have a report due next month on the rules of volleyball. I didn't fully understand everything the teacher said so I will have to ask her to repeat it next week. I am already dreading it!

My next appointment was with E.S.S at 6:00. I was excited for the meeting because my group is doing The Little Mermaid at their musical. However, the meeting itself was pretty boring because all we did was go over the Japanese script, edit it, and discuss how we should do certain scenes. I couldn't contribute all that much so I listened for two hours before I excused myself out of boredom and hunger.

However, I didn't eat much since I had to meet Yoonkyung at 9:00 to go to the gym. I think exercise always works best when I want to distract myself from the things that are worrying me. Yoonkyung and I swam for about an hour and I felt great afterwards-- until I started to think about how I always go to the YMCA with my mom in the States, and that made me miss her terribly. I wasn't ready to go back to my room at that point, so I asked Yoonkyung if we could sit and talk for a while. We sat outside on Nara's campus and I was able to talk freely about things that were bothering me. Sometimes I tried to speak in Japanese, but for the most part I just wanted to speak and have someone understand me. Yoonkyung is a great listener, and for that, I am extremely grateful. Tomorrow I think we will study together since I didn't accomplish anything today. Yoonkyung has to study her English because she is considering getting her doctorate degree in the US. If she does and she goes to a school in North Carolina like Chapel Hill or Duke, that would be awesome : )

Before I went back to my dorm around midnight, Yoonkyung stressed to me: "Don't worry!" I think as long as God puts people like her in my life, I won't have to.

<3

1 comment:

  1. Transitive and intransitive verbs... Simple in theory, torture in reality. XD

    ReplyDelete