A journey begins with a single step

Sunday, May 8, 2011

05.07.11 The Upside

Today was much better than yesterday. The striking contrast was even apparent in the weather (God has a sense of humor.)

At 1:30 I had soccer practice in the blazing heat. (Okay, so it was probably upper 70's, but it's the hottest day we've had so far.) Once again, everyone was wearing long sleeves and pants except for me. This is one thing I refuse to conform to in Japan. Practice was a lot of fun. I felt the need to spontaneously break out into song whenever I deemed necessary (which was often.) In particular, I repeated the chorus to Girls' Generation's "Gee," which is ridiculously catchy. In general, I had a positive attitude and was joking with everyone who came close enough to interact with me. Hinako, our team's captain, even had me show a dribbling drill to the freshmen and I was able to teach them some things through show-and-tell (like how you should be on your toes when you play instead of flat footed), which was not hindered by the fact that I didn't know how to explain it in Japanese.

We ended practice early because it was extremely hot, but even so, we were done around 4:30 PM. Afterwards, I showered, ate, and ventured out into Nara to attend E.S.S (English Speaking Society), which is run by Kana and a few other students from different universities nearby. They use a building that is attached to Nara's tourist center. Kana showed it to me when we went out for dinner last night so I had no problem finding it.

When I first got there it was awkward (as usual). The set up was similar to a classroom, with long tables organized in rows. However, I was determined to be more social and started to talk to the people around me. Because everyone who comes to E.S.S is trying to learn English, it wasn't difficult to communicate. Kana started off the club meeting by having everyone fill out a series of questions (in English) on a piece of paper. They were learning the difference between did you~ and have you~, which I personally find somewhat difficult to differentiate between. Of course, Kana asked me to explain the difference to everyone so I explained it the best I could. I'm not sure if everyone really understood me though. After everyone had finished filling out their questions, we went around the room asking them to each other. I met a lot of nice people this way, many of whom go to my school. Once we were done with the activity, we had "free talk," which required separating people into groups and introducing ourselves in English. This was the most fun for me because I got to learn about everyone and ask questions.

There was one hitch in the night when I met a guy during free talk who had lived in California for fifteen years. He seemed generally disinterested in the conversation we were having and very rudely stated that he was tired and wanted to get drunk instead of be in E.S.S. I was somewhat put off my his nonchalant attitude and his apparent animosity towards Japan. He had moved to Japan about three years ago, right when he started going to college. Funny thing was he was obviously Japanese and spoke it fluently! It takes all types, I guess... I avoided him after free talk was over. It was at this point that everyone was divided again, this time into three large groups. Apparently, E.S.S. puts on musicals every year (again, in English!) I was placed in the group that will be doing The Little Mermaid. Personally, I always wanted to participate in the musicals when I was in high school, but I never could because I played sports. I was super excited to have the opportunity to be in one, but learned that Kana wanted me to judge the three teams because I am a native English speaker. (They turn the shows into a competition so it requires a judge.) I was a little disappointed, but I am hoping that Kana can find someone else to be the judge so I can be involved. (Cross your fingers for me!)


Kana explains the concept of the day

Once E.S.S. was officially adjurned, everyone walked down the street to the 24-hour McDonalds to have dinner and talk. I was pleasantly surprised to find the food at the McDonalds to be really delicious. Unlike in America, not everything is drenched in grease so it actually has a taste. Also, the portion sizes are smaller so you don't feel like you've driven a semi-truck through your stomach afterwards. I stayed and talked with everyone for a while, trying to learn some Japanese words when I could. Everyone thanked me for coming and asked for me to come back. I think I will since everyone was so nice. It was cool to meet students from other universities, too. It seems that a lot of people commute by train to go to school. Sounds nice!

In any case, today was a total 180 degree change from Friday. I just need to stay positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment