A journey begins with a single step

Saturday, May 14, 2011

05.12-13.11 Falling Behind

Hey everyone! Sorry I am falling behind on my blog posts. Things have been a little crazy here since I have been getting up early and going to bed late. There really hasn't been a good time for me to sit down and write!

So, Thursday. In the morning I had my Japanese class. It went fairly well, except that I found out I need to buy the textbook for it and have not done so yet. Whoops. At lunch I ate briefly with Yoonkyung, Bea, Melanie, Hana, Rafael, and a mutual friend of theirs, Masami. I couldn't really stay long though because I was meeting Nguyen (who I will now refer to as Chan since that is what everyone calls her.) She and I walked around campus and attempted to find the textbooks, but they weren't anywhere to be found. Luckily, we ran into a couple people that I knew and they were able to direct me to a website where a lot of students order their books online. Later in the day I was able to order both of my textbooks-- I just hope that they get to me soon!

After Chan and I met, I had to grocery shopping. I really hate grocery shopping here because I have to carry everything on my own. I bought more than usual today because I was planning to cook for Yoonkyung and Hana later. Before I could meet Yoonkyung though, I had to go to my volleyball class. I didn't feel like going at first, but I had fun. I think I am slowly improving my volleyball skills now that we are actually doing practice games.

Once class was over, I showered, ate, and wasted time on the internet before returning to campus to meet Yoonkyung. On my way to her room, I stopped by Inoue sensei's office and apologized to him for missing his classes. He was very understanding-- he even asked if Yoonkyung and I could have dinner with him on Friday. I really love that students can go out with their professors here and it is considered completely normal! From there, I went down the hall to meet with Yoonkyung. Since she was busy working on her research though, I went back to my dorm to make dinner for us and Hana, who was on her way over. I made Ranch chicken using some Ranch packets that my friend Kristina sent me and put it in a salad. Then I made cheesy bread by melting sliced cheese on toast. Both Yoonkyung and Hana said it was delicious, which was a real relief because I really can't cook much! Once we all ate dinner in Yoonkyung's office, Hana and I surfed the web while Yoonkyung did her work. We mostly looked up Youtube videos again. Also, we drew hilarious renditions of each other on the white board (I forgot to take pictures, but trust me on this one). The three of us left by midnight, completely exhausted.

Chicken salad and cheesy bread!

Friday. Oh, Friday. Why are you always so mean to me? I blame Rebecca Black. (If you don't know what I am referring to, that's a good thing.) In any case, Friday wasn't all that bad in retrospect. The day started out normally enough. I met up with Maki, Mao, and Chan for lunch at school because Maki felt bad that she hadn't seen me in a while. Because the weather was nice (finally!) we all sat outside and talked. We even made some plans to go on a day trip next month to a nearby temple. At 1:00 I had Inoue sensei's class. Yoonkyung and I sat together as we watched a video on the Olympics and discussed its history.

After class finished, I went to my room until 4:30. It was then that Inoue sensei had proposed that we meet. Because it was early for dinner, he had asked if we wanted to exercise a bit before going out. Being Sports Science majors, Yoonkyung and I readily agreed. Together, we went to the tennis courts on campus to play around for a little bit. Inoue sensei has played tennis for a very long time, and he is also the advisor for the tennis club so he is pretty much an expert on the sport. Yoonkyung and I haven't played tennis for many years, so it was hilarious watching each other as we learned to play. I think I was laughing most of the time-- it was a lot of fun! By the time we finished, all of us were hungry. After changing, we met up again and went out to a local okinomiyaki restaurant (yum!). We ordered a few different kinds of okonimiyaki, and even more when Maki joined us later in the evening. Okinomiyaki is probably my favorite thing to eat in Japan other than takoyaki so it was a real treat.



Inoue sensei and Maki

The night was still young by the time we left, so Inoue sensei proposed that we do karaoke for a little bit. I was definitely down for that! However, on our way to karaoke, both Yoonkyung and I received an angry text message from Bea. In summary, she was upset that we had been spending all of our time together and not including her. She felt that we were ignoring her and that I didn't want to hang out with her anymore because I had found other friends. Yoonkyung and I were in total shock, and I felt absolutely terrible. The two hours we were at karaoke were absolutely agonizing. All I wanted to do was go back to the dorm and talk to Bea to clear up the misunderstanding.

When karaoke was over, that's exactly what Yoonkyung and I did. It was around 11:30 when we got back, and we woke Bea up to do it, which I think startled her at first. We sat in the kitchen and talked until 3:00 am about everything and anything. I don't want to go into details, but all three of us ended up crying by the time we were finished.

In the end though, we managed to clear things up and I think we've all reached a mutual understanding. We've already made some plans to hang out, and I am definitely going to try and be more diligent in telling her what I am thinking and feeling so a misunderstanding like this doesn't happen again. She and Yoonkyung are my closest friends here, and I definitely don't want to ruin that!

So maybe Friday turned out okay after all.  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment