A journey begins with a single step

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

05.31.11 Indian Inspired Day

It was definitely an Indian inspired day.

I rolled out of bed and forced myself to go to my Indian dance class. We are working consistently on our routine now so the class has become increasingly more difficult. Every week we add on a little bit more to what we already know. I think it will be amazing once we reach the end of the class. Speaking of the end of classes, apparently we are already half way through the semester. How time flies!

After class ended, I went to the cafeteria to eat lunch. Yoonkyung couldn't stay long because she had to run off to her part time job, but my classmate Rina ended up sitting and eating with me. : ) She is a really nice girl so I hope I can hang out with her more in the future. I've already arranged to meet up with Ena this Friday, but I really should make an effort to hang out with more people since my time here is so short.

Once I had eaten, I sat in the International Center's study hall (that's really the only way to describe it) and practiced writing and memorizing kanji for about an hour and a half. I can tell that I am making progress in my studies because I was able to use one of the new words I learned in my Beginner's Japanese class. Beginner's Japanese was interesting today because we were given the familiar scenario of "if you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you bring?" From there, we were asked different questions of how we would do such-and-such a thing, like what we would do for food, etc. We were also assigned our final project, which is a presentation on any subject we want to talk about. I'm not looking forward to preparing for it, but I think it will be a good experience for me in many ways. Now I just have to pick a topic to speak on! What should I talk about?

When class was over I returned to my dorm and took a nap. I think I have been stretching myself pretty thin because I am starting to feel ill again. I am developing a sore throat and have had a pretty consistent headache all day so I am going to drink lots of orange juice and try to get more sleep. I don't have time to get sick so I will do my best to fight it off early!

I woke up to a text from Yoonkyung asking if I wanted to meet her and Hana for dinner. I agreed and groggily went to meet them near the bank next to Nara's train station. From there we went to eat at a small Indian restaurant. I think I have only eaten Indian food once in my life, but it was good to try something new. Everything was delicious! I think the curry was the best part.




We left the restaurant on full stomachs and decided to walk off our meal. We ended up stopping in a bookstore where I splurged on a book about Japanese culture (in English) that looked interesting. I haven't read anything for myself in a while, so I felt it was okay to treat myself to something nice-- especially since it might help me in my studies. The three of us meandered into an arcade and played around for a little while, but we ultimately ended up back on campus. Yoonkyung and I left Hana and went to her office so we could study. Correction-- so I could study. Of course, my concentration waned in less than an hour, so Yoonkyung and I spent the rest of the time looking up places on Google maps. I showed her UNCG and my home in Delaware, and she showed me where she lives in Korea and her university.

Currently we are still planning on going to Korea together in August. I need to buy a plane ticket soon, but before I do that I need to find out when classes end. If they end by the first week of August, that would be perfect. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment