A journey begins with a single step

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

04.05.11 Daijoubu

Today has been a very productive day. In the morning, Nguyen and I went to the computer center on campus to apply for a username in password. We filled out a form and they told us to come back tomorrow. I was a little disappointed, but I think I should definitely have my own internet by tomorrow!
Around 11:00, Nguyen and I went to lunch at the Shukudan on campus (cafeteria). Afterwards, we had some free time so we walked around campus taking pictures. At noon, my friend Beatrice (Bea) showed up and we were joined by Maki san and a friend I made last night, Haruka, who I affectionately call Britney for short. Nguyen had to leave, so my other friends and I went out into the city to buy me a phone.

The cafeteria entrance


Outside eating area

Main office


The West Gate across from my dorm

Lacrosse club practicing!

Center of campus

Lunch room!
They took me to Soft Bank (our equivalent would be Verizon) where I bought a prepaid phone for about 12,000 yen (approximately $100). I have unlimited messaging/texting, which is what I plan on using the most, and I don’t have to pay anything else until after 60 days. I immediately started putting people’s names, numbers, and mail addresses into my phone. Yay for technology!
Bea and Haruka left us then, so Maki took me back to campus where she helped me fill out the wireless internet application form for my dorm. Can you believe that you have to pay separately for wireless internet?! And it takes approximately 15 days to process?! Americans must be spoiled when it comes to internet access. Maki had to go to her part time job around this time, so she showed me to Inoue sensei’s office where we worked out my tentative class schedule.
I will be taking three different Japanese classes and about four sports classes, which would be UNCG’s equivalent of Kinesiology activity courses. I plan on taking Budou (traditional Japanese sports like kendo), volleyball, badminton, and dance. I’m also considering taking one lecture class (a “real” class), possibly Sports Law with Inoue sensei. Tomorrow, I’ll meet with Inoue sensei again to hammer out the finer details.
Once I got back to the dorm, I immediately went to give Nyeng my number and found Mao in her room with another student. We chatted for a while about class schedules. Tonight, I plan on meeting up with K.Y. and Bea to eat some Korean food. They said they want me to make something American (how broad is that?!), but I only know how to make eggs over easy! I hope they aren’t disappointed in the fact that I don’t know how to cook anything.   
...
The cooking night was success! I met up with K.Y. and her friend Hana to go shopping at 7 p.m. Then we went over to their dorm and cooked in their kitchen. I ended up making my traditional breakfast sandwhich, which is eggs, cheese, and bacon on toast. I think everyone liked it! I don’t know exactly what they made, but whatever it was called it was delicious. We stayed up late afterwards watching Japanese television, which is... strange. Bea and I walked back late, and for once I went to bed and slept through the entire night.


My "breakfast sandwiches"

Hana and I eating the food I made

Bea cooking her German dish. Yum!

K.Y. made traditional Korean food

Taste testing

Finished products!
Yatta!

No comments:

Post a Comment