A journey begins with a single step

Friday, April 22, 2011

04.22.11 Humility

I was in a funky mood today. For one thing, I stayed in my room until I had to go to class. (No worries, I did get up and eat something.) I spent time on the computer chatting with my friends until about 12:45, then walked over to campus for Sports Law and Politics at 1:00. I didn't feel like talking to anyone, so I didn't initiate conversation.

I listened half-heartedly to Inoue sensei's lecture seeing as I still couldn't understand most of it. I had worked hard on translating the article the night before so I understood what the topic was at least. I've been feeling crappy since yesterday with a headache and general tiredness. Yoonkyung gave me a little pack of medicine to take while we were sitting in class.

Class ended with Inoue sensei assigning us homework. I am so excited about that (no, not really.) He also gave me two tickets to Nara's spring concert, but unfortunately it is on Sunday so I can't go. Immediately after class, Yoonkyung explained to me that Bea was somewhat miffed by the fact that I went with Yookyung to go get an electronic dictionary and never told her what was really bothering me (refer to Tuesday's post). I felt even crappier at that point until Bea came around the corner. I instantly apologized, seeing that it was impeccable timing. I felt myself tearing up when I explained to her that I had been having a hard time that day and never meant to hurt her feelings. I really do consider her a friend so I was glad that we could have talk and clear things up.

Two other talking points in our conversation included the fact that Japanese people really don't hug each other. I am used to greeting all of my friends in America with hugs (those of you who know me know that I LOVE hugging people) so I think the lack of hugs and affection has really gotten to me as well. Yoonkyung immediately hugged me, explaining that in Korea they do the same. I think my mood immediately lifted in that moment. Magical, isn't it? Maybe some people may find that strange, but the little things are what matter most when it comes down to it.

The other talking point was the fact that none of us can go to the concert on Sunday (Bea is coming to church with Yoonkyung and I as well.) So I thought that maybe Nguyen would like the tickets. Again, with impeccable timing, Nguyen walked out of the International Division's office as we were passing it. I immediately gave her the tickets and she thanked me. Another problem solved!

The three of us sat in the shokudo, sipping tea and eating snacks while I took the medicine Yoonkyung gave me. We also ran into Melanie (the French student) who has decided to stay in Nara for the semester. We all talked for a while until it was time for Yoonkyung to go to her part time job. I returned to my room to lay down for a nap until 6:00.

It was then that I met Ena and the other Sports Science third years to go out for dinner and drinks. Again, two of the teachers joined us, and almost all of the Sports Science students. I found out that there are only ten people in their class! (Yes, ten graduates in one year!) As per usual, the food was delicious and in great abundance. We ordered so many dishes to split among us that I can't even remember how many there were. I think we were there for at least three hours.  It was difficult for me because there was loud music playing while people were trying to talk so I had to ask them to repeat themselves several time, but I was still able to have some basic conversation so I left full and satisfied. Also, my friends only made me pay about 800 yen. If I had to pay on my own, it definitely would have been more than quadraple of that amount!

One of the girls (Miho) happened to live in my dorm so we walked back together. We swung by the convenience store where she works part time to buy some ice cream for dessert. She asked me if I felt homesick at all, which I found ironic. I told her that I do sometimes, but for the most part I have been okay (which is true.) She then shared that when she was a first year student, she went to Germany for a short time to study. "After one week of being there, I wanted to return to Japan!" she said. Her comment following that praised me for being able to live in another country like I am.

Today was not the best, but I am constantly encouraged by the kindness people show me when they could very easily give up and walk away. Living in a foreign country for less than a month, I have discovered the true meaning of humility.    

No comments:

Post a Comment