A journey begins with a single step

Saturday, April 16, 2011

04.16.11 Change of Plans

I feel like an awful person. Bea and I were supposed to go to Osaka tonight to hang out with Melanie (the French student). Our plan was to leave after my soccer practice finished so we could walk around, see some sights, and maybe even do some shopping for an electronic dictionary (which I badly need).

However, soccer practice went extremely long. We practiced from 1:30 until around 4:30. I had told Bea that we would be done around 3:30 so I knew she was waiting for me. I was in a rush to get back until I found out that our first game is tomorrow. Ironically, it is also in Osaka, but the team is leaving at 6:30 am to be there by 7:30 am. At first I thought I could meet them at the station, but then it dawned on me that if I was out all night with Bea and Melanie, there was no way I'd be able to get up and play a soccer game the next day. I wasn't sure what to do at first.

I have been playing soccer for most of my life, and I feel a strong sense of committment to whatever team I play for. If I want to be part of this club team, I need to commit to it. That means making practices and games a priority, and although I felt terrible for bailing on Bea, I know that if I didn't go to the game I would be letting my team down and I would feel extremely guilty about it. I hate when people cancel at the last minute, so I know Bea was probably pissed when I told her I couldn't go. If I had known about the game sooner (I missed Wednesday's practice due to a guidance session) I would have told her earlier. Ugh. Thus, the undesirable situation. I know she is going to have a great time and I wish I could be there. I guess this means I will just have to go to Osaka another day. There other thing that sucks is that Yoonkyung (C.Y.) invited me to go to church with her tomorrow, which I also cannot do because of soccer. And I may not be able to see the cherry trees with my friends, either.

Wouldn't it be nice to be in three places at once? So, right now I am sitting in my room moping a little bit. I just had a shower and ate dinner. I didn't really eat anything since 9 am so I was starving. My body is sore from practice so I know tomorrow will be rough, but I think I made the right decision. If not, it's too late to worry about it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment