A journey begins with a single step

Monday, April 11, 2011

Random Ramblings About Japan Part II

1. No one says "bless you" here when you sneeze (or whatever the Japanese equivalent would be.) Bea and I make a joke of it. Whenever we hear someone sneeze, we say "bless you" under our breaths. It's really weird not hearing it when I've heard it my whole life.

2. Japan is a "white" country. In the U.S. our cell phones are usually black. Here, they are white. In the U.S. our umbrellas are traditionally black. Here, they are white or clear. They tend towards the lighter colors as their default, or at least it seems that way. Unless you are a salaryman. Then you wear the sharpest black suit  you can find.

3. Movies here are expensive. Probably around $25 just to go to a movie theater. Videos and CDs are ridiculously expensive here too, which is strange considering how developed Japan is as a country. Wouldn't things be cheaper?

4. According to Bea, sex is a taboo topic in Japan. A lot of people don't really know anything about contraception so there is a high rate of pregnancies and abortion. Why is that, you might ask? Beats me, but judging by how conservative they are in general it makes sense.

5. People here wear long sleeves, jackets, pants, and boots even when it is hot enough to wear shorts and t-shirts. There are very few exceptions. Bea told me it is because the Japanese do not want to tan (their fair skin must burn quite easily.) I feel awkward wearing shorts and flip flops around campus. Even in my gym class, everyone wears full track suits. I really don't understand it. If I'm hot, I'm going to wear what is most comfortable!

No comments:

Post a Comment