A journey begins with a single step

Saturday, April 9, 2011

04.09.11 Japanese Italian Opera

Honestly, I haven't had many bad days here, only some bad moments. Today was full of only good things.

In the morning I did my best to be responsible by starting some laundry and making breakfast. (I actually made all three of my meals today, if you can believe that.) Then, I went to campus as per usual to skype and chat with some friends. Today was the first day I got to video call my parents, which was comforting. It is strange not seeing their faces everyday. Later on in the afternoon, Bea and I met up to go to a concert that the International Division had given foreign students free tickets for. Nguyen was supposed to come too, but I guess she got caught up doing something else so it was just the two of us. Bea helped me navigate Nara's train station. The Japanese have got public transportation down pat. You pay for your ticket at a little kiosk that looks something like an ATM, then you hop on the train to your destination. There are several different kinds of trains (local, express, limited express, etc.) and they are all color coded and numbered for your convenience. Even so, it was still pretty confusing to me so I was glad that I had Bea there to explain things.

The concert itself was held in a department store about ten minutes away by train. Yes, you read that right-- a department store. Think giant super mall of awesome and you might come close to imagining. Oh, and did I mention that it's HUGE? Seven stories of the most chic, expensive stores you could think of. I even saw a Starbucks. (Ah, the humanity!) The concert was on the top floor in a private auditorium, and I quickly realized that many important and probably rich people were there judging from how people were dressed. Bea introduced me to a woman who works at Nara. She was the one responsible for getting us the tickets. Her husband is a German professor who speaks perfect Japanese and has an apparently important position somewhere. And she just so happened to speak perfect English. Mind boggling, isn't it?


The concert was comprised of performers of Asian descent singing primarily Italian opera with the accompanionment of a pianist. Everything was absolutely beautiful and stunning, and I really thoroughly enjoyed it. Afterwards, Bea and I explored the department store and I ended up buying extra padding for my futon. No longer will I feel like I am sleeping on a table! It's a good thing I didn't have much money on me or I probably would have bought more things. With what little change I had left I bought an ice cream cone from Baskin Robins in the food court. (Yes, they have them too.) It was extremely expensive though, as I am quickly finding out most things are in department stores. Oh well. At least my rocky road craving was satisfied.

After we got back to Nara a while later, Bea and I purchased tickets to a Japan benefit concert being held in Kyoto tomorrow night. Our plan is to arrive there early in the day to check out some of the city's most famous landmarks before heading over to the shrine where the concert will be held. I am extremely excited because Kyoto, like Nara, is a historic city and I have always wanted to go there. I'm so happy I made a friend who knows her way around and loves to go sight seeing like I do. Prepare for another onslaught of updates and pictures when I get back. Ja!

No comments:

Post a Comment