A journey begins with a single step

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

04.20.11 Soccer BBQ

Darn it-- I forgot to bring my camera with me again.

Today was extremely relaxed. For one thing, I didn't leave my room until 4:30 in the afternoon. I love not having classes on Wednesdays. The midweek break is really needed. So, I got up early and chatted with several people on skype. I've found that the best time to talk is in the morning when it is early evening in the U.S. While I talked I attempted to translate some of my homework/reading for tomorrow's Japanese class. I was able to finish almost all of it before heading off to soccer practice at 4:30.

We had a lot of new people (first year students) at soccer practice. They all seemed extremely timid, but some of them can really play! I had a great time just being myself, even in spite of the language barrior. Also, some of my teammates greeted me being saying "what's up?" I taught them the English expression during our tournament this past Sunday and I was thrilled that they remembered it. Unfortunately, a few people were sick or injured so they didn't practice, but they helped out any way they could. Again, I was reminded of the difference in attitude between my soccer club at UNCG and Nara's team. Even if they couldn't play, everyone showed up to help out!

Afterwards we had a Japanese style BBQ as a sort of "welcome party" for the new members. We pulled out two grills and got the fires going using charcoal and newspaper. I was given the task of fanning the flames because it turned out I was pretty good at getting the fires started. Once we had two small grills blazing, we began throwing on different types of meat and vegetables. When everyone was cooked, the food was put on plates and passed around the the tables. The food disappeared quickly and was dipped in a sauce that I don't know the name of, but was extremely delicious. We talked and ate together as one big team for three hours. Even though the food portions were small, no one went hungry because the food kept coming the entire time we were outside. I must admit, I kind of like this style of BBQ better than American BBQ because everyone gets to talk while the food is continuously served.

The night was cold by the time everyone left, so I trekked back to my room and took a hot shower. Now I am working on finishing up my homework while trying to get some laundry done.

All in all, I'd say it was a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment