A journey begins with a single step

Thursday, April 7, 2011

04.07.11 Yaki Soba With Extra Awesome

Today was another excellent day full of adventure. In the morning I met up with Nguyen, Mao, and Mao's friend (whose name I cannot recall). We visited Todaiji again because Nguyen hadn't seen it. It was just as amazing the second day as it was the first. I took more pictures since I was able to charge my camera the night before. From there we went Kasuga Shrine, another famous spot in Nara. The view of Nara from its balcony was probably the coolest thing I've seen since I've been here. The weather was nice-- hot, even-- so by the time we were finished sight seeing all of us were tired and hungry. We returned to the shokudo (cafeteria) for lunch, and I passed out in my room afterwards to take a short nap.







I got up about an hour later to meet Maki, Mao, and Nguyen on campus. Together, we finalized my class schedule. I am taking ten classes! It sounds like a lot, but considering they only meet once a week it really isn't that bad. From there I met up with Bea to go and eat dinner. When she found out I was eating out every day, she immediately took me to the supermarket to buy essentials. Once we were armed with heavy bags full of goodies, we returned to the dorm and she taught me how to make yaki soba, a traditional Japanese noodle dish. I fried up onions, lettuce, carrots, cabbage, chicken, and noodles, tossed them in a bowl and added this AMAZING Japanese flavoring, and BAM-- a complete, filling, and mostly healthy meal.

The food was delicious, yet easy to make. Perfect for a college student. I was really proud of myself for learning how to cook something. Now I will just have to replicate it on my own. Bea is definitely a God send! Also, she said she is going to go with my to Kyoto on Sunday (EEEEEEEE!). I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment