A journey begins with a single step

Sunday, April 24, 2011

04.24.11 Easter Sunday

I didn't write a blog yesterday because I literally stayed in my room and did nothing. It was rainy and soccer practice got cancelled so there was nothing to report.

Today, however, was full of great things. I woke up early, probably because I was excited. For a Christian who is used to going to church every week, it has been difficult for me in Japan. The majority of Japanese do not practice any religion or go to a church of any kind. I met Yoonkyung and Hana in front of their dorm where a car had come to pick them up. I quickly learned that the driver was in fact the pastor of the church. We drove for about ten minutes before reaching our destination. The church was extremely small, only one room on the second floor of a building stuck in the middle of Nara city. However, although it was small, I was greeted warmly and quickly settled in to a pew towards the back.

When listening to Yoonkyung practice with the worship team, I was overwhelmed with emotion and brought to tears. Fellow Christians can understand what I mean when I say even though I did not understand the words, the Holy Spirit spoke to me through the songs that were sung. At my church in the U.S., I sing with the worship team. I personally feel that music is the best way I can speak to God. Worship was beautiful, and with the help of a powerpoint that displayed the lyrics, I was actually able to sing along. 



During the message portion of the service, Yoonkyung sat next to me and did her best to explain what the pastor was talking about with her limited English. However, I didn't really need a translation. We read from Matthew 28, which I found ironic since it was the passage I had read before coming to church that morning. The message was simple enough that I could understand it, and powerful in its delivery. Transcending language barriors, I was moved by the pastor's words: "we all have sin, but Jesus has paid for that sin. There is forgiveness for everyone and a second life." That was the message in a nutshell.

After the service officially ended, there was a fellowship meal where everyone shared something they had brought. Everything was delicious, and I was able to meet some of the other youths who attended the church. When they learned I sang in my church back home, they immediately asked me to sing a song. I ended up singing "How Great is Our God" by Chris Tomlin, accompanied by a guitarist and pianist. In that very moment, it didn't matter that I was in Japan. It didn't matter that the people in the room probably didn't understand my English. All that mattered was that we were all part of the body of Christ. I put all of my heart and soul in the song, and received roaring applause from the twenty-odd people in the room. It wouldn't have mattered if no one had heard it though. My heart was overflowing with joy and a sense of peace that only comes from standing in God's presence.





Then, the church came together to play a game. We were divided into three teams and had to get as many eggs in a basket that we could in a one minute time span. Each person had to carry the egg in a spoon from point A to point B, then pass off the spoon to the next teammate. It was all good fun, and I found myself laughing with everyone else.


Afterwards, Yoonkyung and the worship team practiced a song that I can only assume they will be singing next week. They invited me to sing with them, and due to the simplicity of the lyrics I was able to do so. I think they want me to sing it with them next Sunday. The pastor talked to me then, encouraging me, and asked for everyone to pray over me. For ten intense minutes, everyone was praying at once-- some shouting, some groaning, but all just crying out to God. I also prayed hard in those minutes, mainly for guidance and understanding.


When we finally left church, Yoonkyung took me out for coffee. We talked for a long time, and I was able to learn new vocab and actually piece together some sentences. Out of all the people I have met, I must say I am most grateful for Yoonkyung. It is true that Bea has probably helped me the most, but nothing can compare to the closeness I feel to other Christians. There is unspeakable joy in having found a sister in Christ who truly cares about me and understands what I am going through.

Yesterday and today are as different as night and day. My spirit, watashi no rei, feels uplifted and light. Nothing is impossible with Christ!

Amen! 

1 comment:

  1. Corrine..you are my hero! So brave! Sounds like such a wonderful adventure. The boys miss you very much. We are excited to meet Megan today. Take care and thanks for such a wonderful blog!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete