A journey begins with a single step

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

04.19.11 It Was Bound to Happen Sooner or Later

Today was the day where everything finally caught up to me. Call it culture shock, call it the end of the "honeymoon" period, call it a reality check-- whatever it was, it happened.

It probably didn't help that it was stormy and gross from the moment I woke up. I went to my dance class first. No problems there. I understood all the main ideas, I worked together with my partner to create a small dance performance, and generally enjoyed myself.

Then the lunch break rolled around.

Bea asked me again if I was going to go to the Japanese II class with her. I declined, saying I still felt the same about it. Basically, I am already taking nine classes, four of which are Japanese classes. I feel that if I'm struggling to understand and prepare for two of the level I classes, there is really no point in me taking a higher level course. Bea went on to say that the class would be good for me because of the grammar points, and I understood where she was coming from, but still thought it would be better for me to focus on the basic grammar I was already learning, especially since I'm already struggling with it.

Then she went on to tell me that the "business Japanese" class I have decided  to take (which starts next week) is even harder than the level II, and that it would be better for me to take the level II instead. Honestly, the more she talked, the worse I felt about myself. Then Yoonkyung asked me what I wanted to do, but I couldn't even explain it in Japanesee so I just sat there silently while burning holes in my chopsticks with my gaze. It seemed like no excuse was good enough for Bea, so I said nothing until she had to leave for class.

As soon as she got up, the tears came.

Yoonkyung-- thank God for Yoonkyung-- came and sat next to me and listened as I said: "Jyuugyou wa zenzen wakarnai. Zenzen hanesenai!"

"In class, I don't understand anything. I can't say anything!"

She comforted me in a mix of English and Japanese. She explained that when she first came to Japan from Korea she couldn't understand anything or speak either. But she also said I was extremely lucky because I had a lot of people and friends willing to help me. Apparently, because she is Asian, no one helped her and she was all alone.

From there, she took me to her office (she is a graduate student and teaching asssistant so she has her own space) and gave me coffee (a miracle cure for just about everything in my opinion). Then, she offered to take me to a place in Nara where she knew I could buy a denshi jisho (electronic dictionary.) I agreed, but when I went to the ATM, I couldn't withdraw money. I am not sure why Wachovia would have shut down my card since I told them ahead of time I was going to Japan. I was at a loss at what to do. Yoonkyung told me it wasn't a problem. If my card wouldn't work in the store, she would buy the dictionary for me and I could pay her back.

So we went to a large electronics store in downtown Nara and I bought a savvy lime green electronic dictionary for about $300. Surprisingly, my card worked! I know that it was an expensive purchase, but I feel like I will get a lot of use out of it. Yoonkyung then treated me to some gyoza at a cheap restaurant nearby. From there, we met up with Hana and I followed them as they ran a few errands. We laughed and joked. I was even able to understand most of the Japanese that was spoken and get in on some of the jokes. By the time we were done shopping, it was downpouring rain, but even in the cold, wet city, I felt a sense of peace and warmth unaffected by the weather.

For dinner, Yoonkyung, Hana and I went to a tiny Japanese restaurant where I ate okonomiyaki for the first time. The cook and his wife were friendly, as were the other patrons who sat on the stools next to us. Chatting over delicious food is probably my favorite thing to do in Japan, so my mood was 100% better by the time we left.


Okonomiyaki



Yaki soba

Yes, today was rainy and gross, and I was finally overwhelmed by the pressure caused by studying abroad in a foreign country, but Yoonkyung is right. I have great friends (like her) who are going to be by my side through this entire experience. Also, I decided to go to church with Yoonkyung and Hana for Easter this Sunday. I am so excited-- my heart is overwhelmed with joy.

I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better, darling! I miss you! (especially at the I-Fest this weekend, but then I remembered you have I-Fest every day :D )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest things in life are the most rewarding... It may not seem that way at the given moment and time. Doing extraordinay things is the only way, fearful at times but these, drives us closer to Christ.

    ReplyDelete