A journey begins with a single step

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

04.13.11 Hima

Hima = free time, and today, I had a lot of it.

Originally, I had planned to take one class on this day. Loosely translated it would be "health and fitness." However, it is a first year class (freshmen would be taking it) and I don't really need it. Plus, none of my friends are in it so I opted out. This means Wednesday's will be my free day, which is nice because it means I can study, do homework, go shopping-- whatever I need to do. Although, I do have soccer club at 4:30 on Wednesdays so I'm not completely free. Also, I am considering taking another Japanese class. It is a level two course so it would be more difficult, but I figure I am here to learn Japanese, so why not? I'm not going to take the Friday level two class though. Watching videos on Japanese history (in Japanese) and then writing responses to them isn't really that interesting to me.

At 2:30, I met my friend Hanako in the third year's study room. Yes, we actually have an entire room devoted to us. Pretty sweet, right? It may just be for the Sports Science third year students because those are the only people I see in there, but even so. Hanako had asked me for some help with her English homework. I think we both reached a mutual understanding about how difficult it is to study languages. Her task involved brainstorming sixty words (in English) on a single topic, which she will then eventually write a paper on. Her topic was "books," so together we came up with sixty words related to that. Since the Japanese don't have the "l" sound in their language, it is difficult for them to pronounce it right. Then again, they can at least try and pronounce English words by reading them. I, on the other hand, can't even read kanji. After I helped her with her homework, she showed me a book she has been studying for a big English exam that takes place in May. To me, it looked similar to what you might see on the SAT. Some words would have been difficult even for English speakers! I really have a lot of respect for my Japanese friends. A lot of them speak better English than I do Japanese, but I guess this can also be explained by the fact that they started learning English at a young age. I am pretty sure it is a required language for them.

After helping Hanako, Maki and I met up around 4:15 to go to an International Student Orientation. We met in a large conference room, and it was surprising to see all of the ryugakusai (exchange students) in one room. Each person was accompanied by their personal tutor. Maki and I sat next to Nguyen and Mao. I'm pretty proud of myself because I was able to understand a lot more of what was said during the meeting than I expected. We discussed various topics necessary for student life: insurance, class registration, etc. Tomorrow, Maki is going to help me register my student ID card and make sure I have all my insurance squared away with the health center. Student ID cards here are the key to everything (sort of like the fobs we have to get into dorms at UNCG). Everything on campus is electronically gated (including my dorm), so it is essential to carry your ID card with you everywhere or you won't be able to get into any buildings! Apparently, to get on campus after hours (weekends and holidays), I need to register my ID card. Who knew?

Then, on Friday, Maki is going to come over to my room to help me set up my internet. Today I finally received my username and password in the mail for my dorm's internet service! I am excited because this means I won't have to wake up so early to talk to my friends and family online. It also means I don't have to go on campus everytime I need to use the internet (I am currently writing this from the toshokan-- the library).

After the orientation finished I went back to the dorm to make dinner (chicken udon-- yum!) and I ran into a Japanese girl who began speaking to me in English. It seems that everyone here wants to practice English just as much as I do Japanese. I did my best to respond to her in Japanese, and I think I am getting better conversationally. Pretty soon Bea is going to introduce me to one of her French friends who was here last semester. Unfortunately, the French girl's university won't allow her to return to Japan due to the "nuclear crisis" even though she wants desperately to come back. She is only in Japan for two weeks to collect her stuff and settle some things so I think a few people are taking her out for dinner.

I am extremely blessed and fortunate to be in Japan, even during such times as this. Even if I were to leave tomorrow, if given the chance to do it again I would. Ganbatte Nippon!

No comments:

Post a Comment