A journey begins with a single step

Thursday, April 28, 2011

04.28.11 Golden Week Starts Now

After I returned from my school trip I decided I would spend the day relaxing. Yes, I admit it, I did skip my volleyball class today, but I can't imagine that I missed anything terribly important. Instead, I decided to spend my afternoon with Yoonkyung. Around 3:00 PM I met her in her office and surfed the internet while she finished up some of the research she has been working on. I gave her the omiyage I bought her and was relieved that she liked it.

Once she finished her work we went to grab coffee and chat. I think going out for coffee with Yoonkyung is quickly becoming one of favorite things to do in Nara. She is extremely easy to talk to and has seemingly endless patience when teaching me Japanese. Plus, she speaks clearly and slowly while managing to be extremely animated! Sometimes I feel like the Japanese are too reserved and won't to open up to me, but when I am speaking with Yoonkyung I don't get that impression. More and more I find that we are more similar than we realize.



After coffee we went to a small restaurant nearby for dinner. I loved it because we really got our money's worth! The portions were pretty big for Japan, yet the plates were cheap (around 650 yen). We talked even more in the restaurant, covering a wide range of topics, including plans for Golden Week. We finally set a date to go to Osaka-- May 5th-- which also happens to be Children's Day. Maki also told me she can go on May 5th so it seems like it will be a lot of fun. Tomorrow, Yoonkyung and I are going to Yoshino with Hana. I am super excited! Honestly, everyday in Japan is a new adventure for me. It really makes me wonder if I've been living my life to the fullest in the U.S. or just wasting the days away.

Around 7:30 Yoonkyung had to go to her part time job so we went our separate ways. Once again I returned to my dorm feeling mentally refreshed and satisfied. I can't say it enough-- Yoonkyung is such a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like so much fun! I don't think you're wasting your days away here, since you've been saving up to go to Japan and experience everything there. And if you want to go somewhere once you get back you can take me to Harry Potter World, yes? ;)

    ReplyDelete