A journey begins with a single step

Friday, April 8, 2011

04.08.11 First Day of Classes

I have discovered that when I am upset, eating something with friends will immediately cheer me up.
Today was my first rainy day in Japan. Ironically, it was also the first day of classes. Somehow, I don’t think this is a coincidence. Originally, Bea was supposed to go to a Japanese class with me. However, she bailed at the last second to try another class that happened to run at the same time. I went to the class apprehensively seeing as I hadn’t originally planned on taking it.
The only good part of the class was that Nguyen was in it. Unfortunately, I couldn’t understand a single word. Keep in mind that this is technically “Japanese 2.” From what I gathered, the class consists of watching videos and then writing responses to them. And we already have homework! The only reason I understood any of the first video we watched was because I had learned about it before—it was the story of Kaguya Hime, a popular Japanese folk tale. (Jamie, you should remember that one from high school Japanese.) The second one was a history related video. I think I zoned out during most of it. I’m still debating on whether or not I’ll stick with that class since it left me feeling extremely frustrated and lost.
From there Nguyen and I met up with Maki and Mao for lunch. Since it was noon, the designated lunch hour for all students, the shoukudo was jam packed. After eating as quickly as we could, Maki whisked me away to a teacher’s lounge where I met more important people whose names I will never remember. I gathered that the man I was introduced to was pretty important, but he was badly cross eyed and spoke quickly so I had a hard time focusing on what he was saying. By this point in time I was feeling extremely discouraged and had no desire to go to my next class: Sports Law and Politics.
I am extremely glad I did go though because three of my friends were in it (Ena, Hiroko, and Hanako). Oh, and I should mention the class sizes. In my first class we had a total of six students, and in my second class there were seven! The university is extremely small so I guess this is considered normal, but it was weird and somewhat intimidating for me. Thankfully, Inoue sensei is the teacher of Sports Law and Politics so I felt a lot more comfortable in my awkwardness (if that makes any sense). Two of my friends sat on either side of me and helped me when I had questions about things. It was still difficult to understand, but I was able to pick up on more than I did in the first class. I think I will end up really liking it.
Later in the afternoon I met briefly with Maki to fill out some paperwork that I had been neglecting. Maki is probably the sweetest, nicest, most helpful person I’ve ever met so I am really fortunate that she is my designated tutor. It is humbling to be at the mercy of everyone I meet, and I am finding it hard to fully express my gratitude for everyone’s kindness towards me, but I am certainly going to try.
The best part of the day came around 6 p.m. when I met up with Ena and Hiroko. We went to the supermarket so we could buy food for dinner, and then went to Ena’s “house”, which is really just a one room apartment. Two other students Ena and Hiroko knew came over to eat as well. Since they were younger, they seemed quieter and more reserved, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying myself. We made the most delicious thing I’ve eaten yet: tako yaki. It’s basically baked balls of delicious goodness. You can put just about anything in them, some examples being: octopus, corn, tomatoes, cheese, tempura, fish, and yes, even chocolate. We used all of these and more and continued to use the batter until all of it was gone. All of this was done while watching Doraemon, Shinchan, and Spiderman (yes, in Japanese). Everyone was full and satisfied afterwards. 



I ended up walking back to my dorm with the two younger students since Hiroko goes home by train (she has a two hour commute every day. That’s hardcore!) and Ena was already home. We walked in silence most of the way, which was awkward for me, but I think it had something to do with the group dynamics. It seems that younger students don’t readily address their seniors or “senpai” unless spoken to. Also, from what I gathered at Ena’s apartment, they are pretty much required to do anything their senpai asks of them. It completely made my night when one of them addressed me as “Corrinne senpai”. I definitely had an inward “squee” moment.
One of the things I love about the Japanese people is the way they show respect for others. I’m not trying to hate on America, but I feel that there are a lot of things we could learn from the Japanese that would make our country a better place.
Anyway, tomorrow I am going to a Japanese concert with C.Y., Bea, and Nguyen. I am really excited to see what it’s like! For now though, oyasumi nasai (good night!)

No comments:

Post a Comment