A journey begins with a single step

Friday, April 29, 2011

04.29.11 Yoshino

I got to ride in a car for the second time today. For some reason, I felt even more carsick this time around than the last. It probably had something to do with the narrow, winding Japanese roads we traveled by as we went deeper and deeper into the mountains of Yoshino.

We left Nara around 9:00 am and went to Yoshino with the Asano family, friends of Yoonkyung and Hana. This included a father, mother, and their son, Yuu, who I discovered had studied in America at a university in Tenessee. We made two stops before arriving at their house. The first was to a small roadside store so we could buy ice cream. Mr. Asano paid for us, and continued to pay for us throughout the day. I ended up not spending any yen on the trip, so I was extremely grateful! The second stop was to a supermarket so we could pick up food for lunch. Judging by what the Asano family bought, we were in for a treat.




When we finally arrived at the Asano family's house, I was taken in by the quaint country atmosphere, but we didn't have much time to relax because we immediately set out to a small bamboo grove behind their home to dig up some bamboo. The Japanese actually enjoy eating the shoots after cooking them. It seems to be a popular festival food. Being an American, I had never really seen bamboo before (not like this, anyway), and was amazed by how big the shoots were. Mrs. Asano told us that some of the ones we dug up could be sold for as much as 800 yen at a supermarket!






After getting as much bamboo as we could carry, we went back to the house to drop off our things. Then we immediately set out to a nearby festival where we got to play the popular goldfish game that seems to be featured in every anime or Japanese movie that has a festival in it. I had a blast scooping the fish into the bowl with the paper thin "net". In the end, I think I got about twelve fish! However, I knew that caring for them would be a major chore and there was no way I could bring them back to the U.S., so I gave them to Asano family. We put them in the giant water bowl that the Asano's used to have fish in until a cat came by and ate them. I hope they will be okay!





With two fun adventures done with, it was time to make lunch. Everyone pitched in except for Yuu. He sat under the kotatsu in the living room and watched baseball on the TV. I can't really blame him for doing so though! Lunch was absolutely spectacular. I have quickly learned that any time a Japanese "BBQ" is involved, I am going to enjoy myself. Afterwards, the food combined with the beautiful weather made me sleepy. Once Mrs. Asano gave us a quick tour of the hill behind their house where they grow all of their crops, we gathered around the kotatsu table for some coffee and cake. It was then that Yuu actually gave me a kanji name. It was fun to watch him and his mom debate over which kanji suited me best. In the end they decided on this:

小鈴
 Put together it is pronounced "koreen" (my Japanese name), but the meaning is "little bell." I am seriously considering using it when I sign my name!





Sitting under the heated kotatsu table with everyone for the rest of the afternoon was amazing. It reminded me of when my family and I all sit on the couch at home after church on Sundays and take naps together. Mrs. Asano and Yuu both laid back on the tatami floor, their legs under the kotatsu, and fell asleep. I did the same and woke up refreshed a little while later. After a couple hours of resting and digesting in front of the TV, the Asanos decided it was time to take us back to Nara. 




Despite the carsickness I experienced to Yoshino and back, the trip was exactly what I needed. The Japanese countryside was breathtaking, and the Asano family was extremely hospitable and kind to me and my friends. The day's adventure didn't stop there though. About an hour or so later, Yoonkyung invited me over to her dorm so we could order pizza! While watching a figure skating competition on TV, we munched on Pizza Hut pizza and it was absolutely delicious. One half was buffalo chicken and the other half was potato and bacon. Nevermind the fact that we paid about 3,000 yen ($30) for one pizza. It was totally worth it.




When I finally returned to my dorm, it was past midnight. It's nice to feel like a normal college student again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment