A journey begins with a single step

Monday, April 4, 2011

04.04.11 Ups and Downs

I said going into this that I wouldn’t let myself get frustrated, but I think I underestimated just how difficult this was going to be.

I can barely communicate. I am sure the people I talk to must think I am a complete idiot for taking classes at a university where everything is in Japanese. I’m starting to think the same thing.

I woke up at 6 a.m. and studied Japanese until about 10:15 or so. When I got on campus, it was bustling with activity. Students were everywhere! I figured this must be because of the guidance sessions going on all week, which are designed to help students choose classes. I wandered around a bit just to get a feel for things. Stopping in at an ATM, I found that I could withdraw money in yen using my credit card. However, I have no idea how much they charged me in fees so I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

I attended the guidance session that Inoue sensei told me to go to. The only part I really understood was when Inoue sensei pointed me out as a foreign exchange student from America. He might as well have said: “See that dumb American over there? She can’t speak any Japanese. Just smile and nod.” The teachers all introduced themselves and discussed the syllabi that had been handed out. I stared at the papers in front of me, not absorbing a single letter.

Afterwards, we were divided into groups. I joined the other third year students and was asked to introduce myself—in English, no less. At least that was easy enough. Everyone introduced themselves to me cheerfully and tried to engage me in conversation. I did my best to answer, but felt my confidence growing smaller with every passing second. Two students invited me to eat lunch afterwards. I agreed, and was able to ask for their help in figuring out classes. One of the students could speak some English and was armed with an electronic dictionary. Together, we were able to understand one another. They were kind enough to show me around campus afterwards, but then went their separate ways.

From there I went to the International Division’s office to ask for help in connecting to the internet, finding a cell phone, and possibly employing a tutor. To my delight, Nguyen walked in during the middle of this and she went with me to the computer center on campus. I hoped I could finally be connected to the internet, only to be told that I needed to come back tomorrow. I left feeling utterly defeated. Tomorrow, Nguyen and I might go out so I can buy a cellphone, and I will have to ask the Ida san of my dorm how to apply for wireless internet. That should be fun. (Note the sarcasm.)

For now I am waiting until 5:00 for a “welcome party” that Inoue sensei told me about. I invited Nyeng to come with me since she didn’t know about it. Honestly, I could care less about going. I’ve been on the verge of tears all day. All I want to do is talk to my friends and family in a language I can understand. Is that too much to ask?   

....

I went to the welcome party, and I am really glad that I did. I got to meet a ton of new people, eat free snacks, and actually speak some English. Afterwards, Inoue sensei took me and a few other students and tutors out to dinner at a fancy Japanese restaurant. Just when you thought the food was finished, more came out. We sat and talked for hours together, laughing and joking like old friends. Everyone was sincerely nice to me. I felt like an honored guest! The bill was about 14,000 yen, which would be over $100. Lucky for us, Inoue sensei paid for most of it.



At the Welcome Party-- they made us wear huge flowers to single us out


Nguyen


Haruka, Me, and Maki

Me, Maki, Inoue sensei, K.Y. and Mana
Afterwards, one of my new Korean friends introduced me to a German student named Beatrice who lives on my floor. The best part? She speaks English! Yatta! I think I almost cried out of joy. We sat and talked until past midnight with C.Y., who I have named Celia to help me remember her name. I am borrowing Beatrice's (Bea's) Internet to type this right now. Tomorrow, I am making it my mission to buy a cellphone and get my school internet password and logon.

For now though I am just happy to have made new friends. For the first time, I think I am more happy than worried. (Yes, I was worried.)

No comments:

Post a Comment