A journey begins with a single step

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Random Ramblings About Japan

1.       “Daijoubu” is probably the most versatile word EVER. It is a question, answer, and explanation all in one. For those who maybe do not know, it basically means “all right” or “okay.” As in, “Daijoubu ka?” (Are you okay?) “Daijoubu.” (I’m all right/ I’m fine/ I’m good/ I’m ready, etc.)

2.       Japanese university students (gakusei) are stylish. ALL of them. They have this really awesome layering thing going on. Most will wear skirts, tights, and ankle boots any day of the week along with some cute blouse coupled with a jacket of some sort. Wearing sweats to class would probably be unheard of. In short, they’ve got it going on. It’s sort of intimidating—I feel pressured to dress nicely every day!

3.       People here love to eat. The food culture of Japan is pretty refined, and I assume it comes from age old traditions of high quality service. Also, everything I’ve eaten here has been extremely different from anything we have in the States, but delicious nonetheless.

4.       Side note in relation to eating. I’ve noticed that the Japanese find it awkward to be given money directly. Most stores have a little tray where you place your money so the cashier can pick it up. Also, it’s considered rude to count your change in front of the cashier. They will think you don’t trust them to do their job.

5.       Another side note. Learn to use chopsticks. Luckily, I was prepared for this and have had some practice using chopsticks, but if you don’t know how to use them you’re basically SOL. The only time I used a fork was when they gave me one at a restaurant in order to eat dessert.

6.       EVERYONE RIDES BIKES! EVERYONE. I am kind of jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment