A journey begins with a single step

Thursday, April 14, 2011

04.14.11 Full Circle

It seems that I've come full circle now. Tomorrow I will start my first "real" week of classes since all of my classes since Friday have only been orientations. You know what it's like: read the syllabus, maybe introduce yourself to each other, but no real work. Tomorrow, that will change. I am a little nervous because there is still a lot I don't understand, but I have a lot of great people around me helping me so I know I can handle it!

Today I got up groggily after a long night out with friends. (Luckily, none of my classes start before 10:40, which is a huge improvement from the 8:00 am classes I take at UNCG.) Bea and I went to the second part of Japanese I today. There is a Japanese IA and a Japanese IC. I took the IA on Monday, and this class is sort of like a "part two" taught by the same teacher. Because we went to orientation on Monday, we only had to stay for introductions, then we got to leave. It was nice because I didn't really eat breakfast so Bea, Nguyen, and I all went to the shokudo for lunch. On the way there, we ran into Melanie on campus. Apparently, her university adminstration have changed their mind and will allow her to come back to Nara if she wants to. While this is great news, it is also difficult for Melanie because it means she has to make a decision soon about what she will do.

After lunch, Nguyen and I met up with Maki and Mao to take care of some things. I had to purchase student insurance, which was actually very, very cheap (only about $20), and it seems relatively useful since I would only have to pay 30% of medical costs if I were to get injured or sick. I also have the insurance that UNCG made me purchase, and my personal insurance. I hope this means I don't have to pay anything if something happens (God forbid)! Side note: I also bought a few stamps so if anyone wants a postcard send me your address via email or facebook.

Later in the afternoon I had my volleyball class. I was relieved to see that it was a mixed group of students ranging from first years to fourth years. Two of the fourth years were Sports Science majors like me and we had met before so they were gracious enough to sit and talk to me during class. We actually got to practice a little bit of volleyball, so that was fun. I always enjoy my sports classes because it isn't really necessary to understand a lot of Japanese to do well! I am not sure what the night will hold. Bea and I might hang out and do something. I am excited because tomorrow I should be getting internet in my room. Cross your fingers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment