A journey begins with a single step

Thursday, April 14, 2011

04.13-14.11 Karaoke

This really deserves its own post because its just that awesome.

Last night, Bea, CY, Hana, and I met up with a girl named Melanie. Melanie is a French student who studied at Nara last semester, but is no longer in Japan because her university won't let her return. She has come back to Nara for two weeks to gather her things, so while she is here, her friends want to make the most of it.

We started the night with dinner. Even though I had already ate some udon, I decided to eat again. We went to a restaurant called Baby Face, which seems to be popular among the college students because they serve large plates that can be cheaply split among a group of people. We ate a salad, omelet rice (yes, it's exactly what it sounds like) and spaghetti. From there, we left to find a place to eat dessert. We ended up at a small "Australian" restaurant. Most of us got cake (myself included).

Mine is the one on the bottom right-- strawberry!

When we finished dessert, it was around 11 pm, but we decided that wasn't good enough. Someone mentioned karaoke and I was sold. Truth be told, I've been dying to do it since I got to Japan. I love to sing, especially with friends, so what's not to like? CY led us to a small karaoke place on the shopping street that was only 500 yen an hour (this included drinks). We were given our own room, ordered our drinks, and then were allowed to stay for as long as we liked. The system was pretty high tech-- you were given a small handheld machine that allowed you to look up songs (either in English or Japanese) and then you could "reserve" them by simply touching the screen.

Between the five of us we sang in six different languages: Korean, Japanese, English, Spanish, French, and German. Our songs ranged from Disney to Girls Genereation (a popular Korean female pop group). There was some Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, and yes, even Abba thrown in there too. We were having such a good time that by the time we finished it was 3 am! I learned that CY has an AMAZING voice. I was so impressed. It was nice to have people compliment me on my voice, too, but all in all it just felt good to sing again! Because I am used to singing in church every week, I really missed it. It seemed that we could communicate through song better than conversation, and I left the karaoke room satisfied with life.






And of course, I had to take some videos! The first one is of CY and Hana singing "Gee" from Girl's Generation. It's one of the most popular songs in Japan right now. The second one is Bea and I singing "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxoBilILfg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8aY-ubBBlg



No comments:

Post a Comment