A journey begins with a single step

Saturday, June 11, 2011

06.11.11 100th

This is my 100th post since I started my blog! Also, my birthday is in 10 days. Pretty sweet, huh?

In other news, I spent another fabulous day in Osaka. Bea, Chan, and I met at the entrance to our dorm a little before 9 AM so we could walk to the train station together. We happened to meet Kana on the way there, one of the Taiwanese girls that I met at Ikebana. Together, the four of us trekked through the pouring rain to Nara station. We arrived in Osaka a little before 10 AM where we met up with some other exchange students and two women from the International Student Center at the National Bunraka Theater of Osaka. Shortly after arriving, we were seated in a large theater where we got an explanation of Bunraka from the professionals, and were able to view a Bunraka play. Bunraku is another famous form of theater created by the Japanese. It's amazing how lifelike the pupeteers can make their puppets seem, especially since it takes three people to conduct one puppet! We got to see "Gojoubashi," a short scene where two samurai were fighting. Nothing is cooler than seeing two samurai puppets fight. Afterwards, we saw "Futatsudama," "Miuri," and "Hayano Kampei Harakiri," all of which were a part of one larger, tragic story.




By the time Bunraku was over it was 1:00. The women from the International Student Center encouraged us to have fun in Osaka, but also to by careful. Together with about five other girls, we set out first for food. Of course, we were in Osaka so we had to eat takoyaki. We went to a different place than where I went with Yoonkyung, but it was just as delicious. Not everyone was satisfied with just takoyaki though, so they went to eat ramen. One of the other Taiwanese girls didn't want to eat because she was meeting another friend for lunch later, so we walked around and talked while the others were in the restaurant. When everyone came back together again, we decided to split up once more. Bea, Chan, Kana, and I all decided we wanted to go shopping so we said goodbye and ventured out into Osaka's prolific shopping district.





We weaved in and out of every other shop, but I was particularly interested in buying some cute summer shoes. It didn't take me long to zero in on a super cute store called "Atta Girl." I ended up buying two pairs of shoes on sale for less than 2,000 yen each (less than $20!). Both pairs were extremely stylish, but I am absolutely in love with my green heels. Everyone else had something in particular they were shopping for. Bea and Kana both bought new purses, Bea bought shoes and clothes, I bought a cute shirt and some earphones, and Chan bought a case for her dictionary. Shopping like we did reminded me of the times I go shopping with my mom and my friends back home. It was so much fun!

Inbetween stores we stopped for dessert and ate some amazing parfaits. I've had some really delicious desserts in America, but no one beats Japan when it comes to style. Everything looked AND tasted amazing. After getting our sweets fix, we took some more purikura (of course!)






Although it seems like we didn't do much, we came home around 8 PM. I had planned to do homework when I got back, but knew that I was too tired to be productive, so I stopped by Hana's to show her what I had bought. She treated me to some Korean ramen since I hadn't eaten, and Yoonkyung arrived shortly after. The three of us hung out in Hana's room and watched some more Korean music videos and Hana also gave me some clothes that she can't wear because they are too big for her.

Overall, I'd say it was a very successful, exciting, spectacular day. : )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment