A journey begins with a single step

Monday, June 13, 2011

06.13.11 Hooray for New Friends!

Today was the first time in a while that I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep. Even though I only slept for four hours, I was wide awake. I think it had something to do with the anxiety I have over homework.

Anyway, I decided to be productive instead of trying to go back to sleep. I took out my trash and worked on Thursday's homework for a couple of hours before getting ready for class. Japanese wasn't too bad today, but I found out that we will have a huge test at the end of the semester. I am kind of worried about it, but I don't want to think about it too much because it will stress me out. At lunch, Bea and I ate with Hana and Yoonkyung. From there, the three of us went to Budou class where we are still doing kendo. At least this time around we are using wooden katanas so it is a bit more interesting than the usual shinai. On the other hand, Inoue sensei's class afterwards was horribly boring. We started doing volleyball, but unlike my actual volleyball class, no one really knew how to play so it was painfully difficult. It was so bad that I might just skip class next week.

Once class was over, Bea went with me to Packet so I could do some grocery shopping. I literally had nothing left in my fridge so I had no choice but to go today. After I got back, I went to meet up with a girl named Akiko. She will be going to UNCG for two semesters starting in August so the International Student Office gave her my information so she could contact me. The two of us went out to dinner and got to talk about many different things. Initially, we spoke in Japanese, but we ended up switching back and forth between English and Japanese while we were eating. Akiko seemed like a very nice girl, and I am super excited that she will be coming to Greensboro! I plan on introducing her to my UNCG PAL from Kyoto, so hopefully the three of us can hang out in the fall. It was a relief that we got along so well, and I was happy that I got the chance to answer some of her questions and put her at ease. Hooray for new friends!





When I was done having dinner with Akiko, Bea and I went to Konami to work out. Because I had eaten a lot beforehand, it was a little more difficult to run than usual, and my lack of sleep left me extremely tired by the time I finished. Before going back to my dorm, I stopped in Yoonkyung's office so she help edit my presentation's script for Beginner's Japanese. She told me that about 60% of what I wrote was correct, which means that I still have a long way to go. I was extremely grateful for her help though.

I am really lucky to have met so many kind people during my short time here. I hope I continue to make more friends who I can keep in touch with. <3
   

No comments:

Post a Comment