A journey begins with a single step

Thursday, June 16, 2011

06.16.11 This is the Day

Today was pretty miserable, but I only had myself to blame for it. It was also the first day it rained all week, which I found ironic.

I stayed up until 8:30 in the morning because I couldn't sleep. Which, of course, made me extremely tired. I opted not to go to my Japanese class because of it, so I gave Bea my homework to turn in and went to bed. I slept until around 1:00 in the afternoon and groggily got up to eat a snack and get ready to go to class. I begrudgingly went to volleyball, my least favorite class to go to. It was even worse today because only ten other people showed up. This meant that we only had two teams, so we played eachother for an hour and a half-- straight. (Of course this would happen on the day when I didn't get any sleep.)

After class was over I showered and ate, then layed back down to sleep some more. I slept for another three hours before Yoonkyung texted me. We had planned to get coffee earlier in the day, but she had her part time job so we ended up going to a place I haven't been before called "Mello Cafe" around 8:00 PM. I was ravenously hungry, having only ate some ramen after class, so I ordered some Italian style pizza that was actually cooked in a wood burning stove (it was pretty delicious). We were going to drink coffee, but seeing as I didn't sleep last night I thought it would be better to avoid caffeine so late in the day. We both ordered tiramisu parfaits instead. I think we made the right choice.



After we were both stuffed, I got to talk to Yoonkyung about some things that I had been bothering me, one of which being that I am somewhat bummed to be away from my family and friends on my birthday, especially on my 21st birthday, a day that is pretty important in American culture, but isn't all that special in Japan. Yoonkyung really encouraged me by telling me about her experiences with birthdays abroad. She also told me that a lot of people were planning things for me, and that because this would be the only year I would have a birthday in Japan, it would be more special than any other birthday. "We won't be there on your birthday next year, so the most important thing is to have a good attitude!" she told me. She is absolutely right, of course. Now I feel bad for moping! I have a lot of friends here who are going to do their best to make my birthday special, and all I can think about are the people back home. Pretty selfish of me I think!

She also pointed out that my mood goes up and down a lot, which I've always known, but still. It's probably the one trait that I hate the most about myself. I've always been a pretty emotional person, so I can be pretty childish at times. I really want to work hard to change that and to focus on God and others, not on myself.

All in all, even though the day started out pretty badly, it ended on a hopeful note. Thanks again, Yoonkyung. Your words really convicted me tonight. Tomorrow is a new day, and I will be happy because it is the day the Lord has made!

Psalm 118: 24 "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."


No comments:

Post a Comment