A journey begins with a single step

Thursday, June 30, 2011

06.29-30.11 R&R

I'm not particularly in the mood to write, but I have the time so I probably should.

Wednesday was a fairly good day. I got up early to go to the gym with Bea and Yoonkyung, and afterwards we ate at the restaurant near JR Nara station that Bea seems to love. Because I haven't been eating well lately, my stomach has shrunken and my appetite has decreased so I wasn't able to finish everything on my plate, but maybe that's for the best. Bea suggested that we go to karaoke (how could I say no to that?), so she and I went and sang for an hour while Yoonkyung went off to get some things done.

I didn't do anything special after we got back. I mostly sat in my room and surfed the internet until it was time to meet Yoonkyung and Bea again. The two of us decided to accompany Yoonkyung to her appointment at the hair salon. It was surprising for me to see more men than women working in the hair salon, but hey, whatever floats your boat, right? I see a lot of men in Japan doing what would be considered a "woman's" job in America, and I'm glad. Do what you love, I say! And to hell with what people think. I'm glad that Japan doesn't have so much of a guy/girl stereotype.

Bea had to leave before she could see Yoonkyung's new haircut because she was going to have dinner with her teacher, so I was the first to see it. I think it suits her-- and it's super cute!


After finishing at the hair salon, Yoonkyung and I went to eat dinner at a 500 yen restaurant (everything on the menu was only 500 yen!). It was absolutely delicious and really cheap considering how much food we got. Yoonkyung critized me for not eating my onsen tomago (my egg), but I really don't like the taste of eggs when they're cold.



Once we had eaten dinner, the two of us went to church. Yoonkyung was leading worship so I had decided to come and help her sing. I think it went pretty well, and I always enjoy going to church because it relaxes me. Afterwards, Yoonkyung and I walked back to campus and said our good byes.

>>

Thursday was not so nice. Well, okay, that's a lie. It started out pretty nice, but ended on a sour note. In the morning I went to Japanese class (of course). Then I ate lunch in the cafeteria with Bea before going to Yoonkyung's office to study. After I studied kanji for an hour and a half, I went to my volleyball class, which was a lot better than last week because our teacher actually gave us water breaks. Later on after class had finished, I met with Yoonkyung so we could go to play volleyball with some people she knew. Yes, more volleyball. The gym we went to was a little out of the way (it was about fifteen minutes by bike), but we had a lot of fun. A lot of guys came to play so it was difficult to compete, but everyone laughed the whole time and I actually didn't do too bad so I was proud of myself. I've improved a lot since the time that I played in high school!

The night turned sour towards the end though. I went to dive for the ball and ended up banging my left knee pretty hard on the floor. Of course it hurt in that moment, but I figured I would just shake it off and I would be fine.

We biked to Konami to take a shower after three hours of playing volleyball. (Taking a shower at Konami meant we wouldn't have to pay for it on our dorm's water bill. Smart thinking, Yoonkyung.) By the time I got out of the shower though, my knee was hurting a lot worse-- to the point where I couldn't completely straighten it or put pressure on it without experiencing pain. No big deal, I thought. I probably just bruised something.

Once Yoonkyung and I showered, we walked to a cheap izakaya to eat dinner. Everything on the menu was 270 yen, so we ordered a lot of different things until we were satisfied. Hana chan even came to join us because she had just gotten off work. We were there for about an hour before we decided to get up and leave.

That's what caused me the most trouble. Standing up was almost impossible because straightening my leg hurt like hell. That's when I started to worry. Walking back to campus was painful. I had to lean heavily on my bike and use it like a crutch. I could tell that Yoonkyung and Hana chan were worried too so we stopped at a convenience store to buy me some ice. They walked me all the way back to my room to make sure I was okay and Bea joined us in my room shortly after. Originally, Bea and I were going to go to Kyoto the next morning, but once she saw how much pain I was in we nixed the plan completely. Going to Kyoto would have meant walking all day long, something I wasn't up for. It's really disappointing that we can't go, but it's probably for the best...

So, that was the end to an otherwise fun day. Of course, it's the same knee that I hurt in high school playing soccer, so I was more than a little annoyed by it. Seems like I need to slow down and relax a bit. I need to pull myself together. At least I have some good friends who will take care of me until I feel better.

Thanks, Bea and Yoonkyung. You two are the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment